Hearts of Palm "Crab" Cakes
Calling all seafood lovers! This delicious hearts of palm recipe will satisfy your craving for crab cakes. It’s super simple to make and a hit with me and hubby on date night.
Serving Size: 6-8 cakes Prep Time: 8-10 minutes Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
💚VEGAN 💚GLUTEN FREE 💚OIL FREE
- 14 oz can hearts of palm (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 c mixture of: avocado, juice of 2-3 lemons and sriracha, to taste (blended together - this will be your "mayo". See tips below regarding this)
- 2 TB seaweed sheets, finely crushed OR kelp flakes, to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1-2 TB cajun seasoning (we like Slap yo mama)
- 1 c Luptopia Protein Crumbles in shallow dish, 2 TB set aside
- Preheat air fryer or oven to 375 and line baking sheet with oven safe parchment paper
- Using a fork, scrape heart of palms lengthwise, producing shredded pieces. Chop in half or in thirds and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix in "mayo", old bay, shredded carrots, seaweed flakes, 2 TB panko, and salt until well blended.
- Add in hearts of palm and gently turn mixture until combined and coated with seasoned "mayo."
- Using the shallow dish of Luptopia Crumbles, form small cakes and gently press cakes on both sides, coating each with crumbles.
- Place all cakes spaced apart on parchment paper.
- Air Fry or bake for 18-20 minutes, turning over after about 9-10 minutes. The outside of the cakes should be light brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cajun seasoning, to taste.
- Serve with our Sriracha Avocado Dressing immediately before serving. Pair with a Kale salad or use bread rounds for a yummy sandwich.
- Vegan mayo can be substituted for Avo Mayo. If you still incorporate dairy in your lifestyle, you could also sub regular mayo.
- If you prefer, you can also pan fry these in oil of your choice.
-If you prefer not having a stronger seafood flavor, omit the kelp or seaweed. It will taste more like a hush puppy, which was kid-approved!
- You can also use a vegan fish taco seasoning if you do not have Old Bay.
Don't have Luptopia Protein Crumbles?