Deliciously Simple Bean Burger
Going plant-based doesn't mean you have to give up your favorite foods! I was a big burger lover before eliminating meat, and I realize there are a lot of meat substitutes in the market today (Beyond beef, Impossible burger). However, I feel like nothing beats a simple, black bean burger. Add some grilled corn on the cob and fruit and you will find yourself in veg heaven!
Serving Size: 6 Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
💚VEGAN 💚GLUTEN FREE 💚OIL-FREE
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) beans of choice. I typically use black beans or half black and half cannellini beans)
- 2 flax "eggs"
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes (SEE TIPS)
- 2 tsp vegan friendly burger seasoning
- 2-5 TB Low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 c cracker/bread crumbs (SEE TIPS)
- 1.5 tsp onion salt
- 2 tsp garlic cloves, minced
- dash of sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 serrano pepper, minced (SEE TIPS)
- If cooking in air fryer/over, preheat to 350 F.
- In medium bowl, mash rinsed and drained beans until desired consistency. I like mine with a bit more texture, but if you like it smoother mash for a bit longer.
- Add in quinoa flakes and cracker/bread crumbs, along with spices. Add or omit based on your desired preferences.
- Add in flax "egg" until thoroughly combined.
- Shape mixture into 6-7 patties. To prevent sticking if stacking or if you are preparing the day prior, you can separate with parchment paper.
- If cooking on stove, spray pan and add in veggie broth as needed as you're cooking bean patties. Cook patty for 5-6 minutes, or until each side is getting golden brown.
- If using air fryer/ baking, cook for about 20 minutes, flipping over halfway.
- Serve hot on bun of choice and load up with sliced vegan cheese (we like smokey gouda) lettuce, tomato, red cabbage, avocado - basically all your faves!
- Be sure to RINSE and DRAIN the beans well.
- If you don't have quinoa flakes, you can use gluten free oats or simply sub crumbs.
- If you don't have bread crumbs/crackers, you can also sub for gluten free panko crumbs.
- Omit serrano and sub for jalepeno or even bell pepper if you don't care for spicy.
NOTE: If you still incorporate dairy in your plant-based lifestyle, feel free to sub vegan cheese with shredded mozzarella/mexican blend cheese and use egg in place of flax egg.