Protein Smore's Cake Roll
This was my FIRST cake roll and it turned out way more amazing than I expected. Plus, it was SO easy - why haven't I been making cake rolls my whole life?! It is a little bit more steps what you might see me post but super easy considering I've never made this. You can make this, too, and celebrate the season knowing it's filled with all the richness of fireside s'mores with the added health benefits of protein, fiber, potassium and more!
Serving Size: 10-12 Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes
- (1) package Luptopia Protein Pancake, Waffle and Muffin Mix
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 50 grams Pea Protein or protein of choice
- 8 oz. plant milk (thinner like almond)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 c water
- juice from 1 can of garbanzos/chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 30 g sugar free confectioner's sugar
- 60 g sugar free substitute granulated
- 1/2 package of Vegan Sugar Free Instant pudding mix
- 120 grams of vegan chocolate chips
- 1-2 TB plant milk (thinner like almond)
- 70 g mini Vegan Marshmallows
- 56 g vegan-friendly graham crackers (1 sheet cut in tiny pieces for topping garnish and the remaining crushed)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Add juice of 1/2 lemon to milk and set aside
- Empty entire mix, cocoa powder, pea protein, baking soda into medium bowl and whisk
- Add in milk/lemon mix and SLOWLY add 3/4 c water. The mixture should be runny but not soupy.
- Pour in parchment lined 9x13 " pan, tapping pan to get any bubbles out and ensure the mix is level.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the top of cake is slighltly springy. DO NOT OVERBAKE!
- In small bowl, combine aquafaba and vanilla, and cream of tartar and beat until thickening and peaks begin to form. You may have to do this for several minutes.
- Slowly add in pudding mix and 30 g confectioners and 60 grams granulated sugar. If mix is too thick, add water in very small amounts, a little at a time. It should resemble a fluffy meringue mix (SEE TIPS). Set aside
- Once cake is finished, place parchment paper on cooling rack and wait until the cake is SLIGHTLY WARM but not completely cooled.
- Once mostly cooled, flip the cake in pan on a large sheet of parchment paper. Spread aquafaba filling over the cake. Then, starting from the shorter side of cake, begin rolling using the parchment paper to help you. Keep rolling the cake evenly holding the removed parchment as you go keeping the cake roll tight.
- Once fully rolled, keep parchment paper and wrap around finished log seam side down. Place wrapped cake in fridge and let cool for up to 2 hours (if time allows)
- To prepare exterior garnish, melt chocolate in double broiler with 2 TB plant milk (save some chocolate chips for topping). Stir frequently until chocolate is fully melted. If you need the chocolate to thin out a bit more, slowly add more plant milk or water by the TB (SEE TIPS).
- Take cake roll out of fridge and place in baking pan again. This is where you just create the exterior however you wish! (Note: To make the presentation neater, you are actually supposed to cut off both ends with a serrated knife, but I didn’t on this). I arranged mini marshmallows on top of cake roll, then broiled for 1 minute on lowest rack until the marshmallows got toasty (you can also use a cooking torch if you have one). Just be sure to watch this closely in the oven as the marshmallows burn easily.
- Once out of the oven, I placed the cake gently on a cooling rack with a drip pan or parchment paper underneath. Poured chocolate evenly over log from one end to the other to coat, and arranged broken grahams around the marshmallows.
- Then, I transferred the cake roll to a new piece of parchment paper (feel free to use a large platter if serving) and coated the base with crushed graham crackers, saving some for topping.
- Lastly, I drizzled remaining chocolate over the whole cake and added on more chocolate chips.
- Enjoy or serve immediately. Keep any leftovers in an airtight container.
Don't have our Luptopia Protein Mix?
- You can replace part/all of the aquafaba mix and pudding by just adding 1 cup melted marshmallows with 1 TB butter on broiler. This will change the macros, but might be easier if you don't have vegan pudding mix or don't care for aquafaba.
- For a thinner ganache over the cake, you can also thin out the chocolate with 1 TB coconut oil. Just optional if you incorporate oil or want a thinner, glossier look.