Crispy BBQ "Chicken" with Sweet Potato Mash
There's nothing quite like some southern flavor. In my Texas household, we like sweet and heat! Try this quick recipe for family dinner or at your next summer BBQ.
Serving Size: 4 Prep Time: 10 Cook Time: 35 minutes
💚VEGAN 💚GLUTEN FREE 💚OIL FREE
- 1 - 16 ozpackage of Super Firm Tofu, cubed
- 1 -18 oz. (set 4 oz aside) of Vegan BBQ sauce (we use a low sugar one, but any vegan brand works)
- 1/2 c - 3/4 c. oat or unsweetened milk
- 1/2 c - 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 2 TB nutritional yeast
- 6 small to medium-sized sweet potatoes, cubed (skin on)
- Garlic powder, Salt, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, and Black pepper and other favorite seasonings to taste
Instructions for "Chicken"
- Preheat oven 400 degrees (if using an air fryer, no need to preheat)
- In Large mixing bowl, whisk bbq sauce, nutritional yeast and seasonings together until blended
- Add cubed tofu, gently turning in sauce to coat all pieces.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spread coated pieces without overlapping and cook for 20-25 minutes, turning frequently
- About halfway through cooking, brush remaining sauce on pieces after they have been turned several times. You will need to brush on sauce more if you use an air fryer so the pieces don't get too dry.
- Remove from heat and serve with sweet potato mash
Instructions for Sweet Potato Mash
- While BBQ "chicken" is cooking, place cubed sweet potato to a pot of boiling, salted water
- Once completely softened, drain and return to stovetop with heat on low
- Season with black pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Mash potatoes, slowly adding in milk, increasing or decreasing amount until desired consistency
- Once moisture almost gone, remove from heat and put sweet potato mixture in baking dish lined with oven safe parchment paper
- Top mixture with brown sugar and stir slightly so part of the sugar is blended
- Place in oven (same temp as bbq "chicken") for about 5-10 minutes, or until bubbly. I wait until the BBQ "chicken" is almost done so they are both hot.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with BBQ "Chicken"
- I used Super Firm Tofu, but ok to sub softer options
- You can add vegan butter in mash while cooking on stovetop if you prefer creamier potatoes
- Serve with steamed spinach or other greens that can be cooked at the same time
- Consume within 7 days for best taste, but can be frozen up to 1-2 months