Originating in my great state of Texas, this recipe is a tried and true, year-round favorite! I've heard it called all sorts of different names across the US, but for this Texan it will always be known as cowboy caviar (without actual caviar, of course). It makes an easy, make-ahead dip or can even be used as a side or topping/filling.
Serving Size: 8-10 Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 0
💚VEGAN 💚GLUTEN FREE 💚OIL-FREE
- 2 cans (15 oz) black beans (SEE TIPS), rinsed and drained
- 1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1.5 - 2 cups of corn (fresh or 12 oz. can rinsed/drained)
- 2-3 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 c red onions
- 1.5 tsp onion salt
- 1 bell pepper, any color diced
- 1 serrano pepper, minced (SEE TIPS)
- 1/4 c cilantro, chopped finely
- sea salt, pepper to taste
- Avocado (optional diced add in)
- Chips (for when served)
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients except spices and lime juice. Turn mixture gently until well-combined.
- Add in spices and lime, to taste.
- Mix again until evenly coated.
- Serve with chips of choice or as a fresh, simply side
- Be sure to RINSE and DRAIN the beans well. Traditional recipes call for equal parts black beans and black eyed peas, but we prefer more black beans.
- Omit serrano and sub for jalepeno or even more bell pepper if you don't care for spicy.