Apple Cinnamon Donuts
It doesn't have to be Fall to make these delicious apple cinnamon donuts! Packed with protein, fiber and nutrients - they are a healthier donut option not crazy high in calories. Make this iron and potassium rich recipe into muffins for an on the go, healthy snack!
Serving Size: 12 Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 16-18 minutes
- 1 package (12 oz) Luptopia Protein Pancake, Waffle and Muffin Mix
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1/2 TB lemon juice
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 small to medium apple peeled, shredded
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 TB unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar mixed with 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven 350 F.
- Mix entire package in medium bowl and whisk in cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In separate bowl, combine milk and lemon juice for "buttermilk" (SEE TIPS)
- Add in vanilla, applesauce, and water, whisking until blended
- Combine wet ingredients into dry mixture until well blended.
- Fold in shredded apple. Be sure there's not excess water (SEE TIPS)
- Pipe or spoon into non-stick donut pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake for 16-18, letting rest for 5 minutes until removing from pan. For muffin time, see TIPS.
- If using icing, press into brown sugar mix, dip face down into icing, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts.
- In small bowl, mix powdered sugar with softened vegan butter. You can also add a dash of vanilla to taste. Slowly add in plant-milk 1 TB at a time until desired thickness.
- For buttermilk, I find that almond milk or Silk Ultra works best for not separating as much as thicker plant milks.
- To ensure there's not excess moisture. squeeze apples in nut bag, sieve or even wrap in paper towels and "wring" excess juice. You can easily save juice to repurpose into icing or save for later.
- If you're wanting to make muffins, simply spoon 3/4 mixture as directed into a non-stick/greased muffin pan and bake on 350 for 25-30 minutes.